THE FLY IN THE OINTMENT
Sixth is v. S. Pritchett
(IGCSE Literature English 2013)
Important Points to Remember
Voyage – Father: leaving the factory, money, the company man. The Irony at the end: that he are unable to get rid of this kind of, of the " dark side”. - " Tow faces”: father simply cannot let go of his vice as well as " darker side”. The cynical end of the story shows this kind of dark thought to the son. - Idea: Man's have difficulty for survival. It is a exceptional and personal voyage, not all challenges are the same and possess the same being.
Daddy / Boy - Information of personas. Detailed and showing their very own personalities, weaknesses, hopes, fears. Good tale to work with characterisation. - Relationship between them = CONFLICT
- Father: the bearer of " two faces”. His kid KNOWS they will both co-exist. - " fly” – a metaphor which depicts the concept of the the father´s lack of control of the dark side and we observe how it terme conseille his persona. - Dad's projection of his disappointment on his son but phoning him " professor” incongruously and by continuously referring to his son´s diminishing hair (and teeth? ) = physical weaknesses that the son provides but , facing his father, is more stable in individuality.
Money - Father's dependence on that and the son's awareness of this kind of - Negative end: " Old patterns die hard. ”
Signs - 1) set in the month of November, in the " deceased hour”, inside the Fall 2) the travel
3) the " silver-topped pencil”
4) the factory (the contrast between the outside and inside) 5) the " bars” on the " liquid windows”
6) the " harvest celestial body overhead came straight down from it rosy voyage” = the fact that his father was trying to convince himself that he can change abruptly ended when his son mentioned the fact that he may be able to increase some " cash”
FLY IN THE OINTMENT sama dengan meaning in the title
1) One are unable to control their life like the father cannot kill the fly 2) The daddy cannot control " the tiny face” (the " darker side”) 3) The take flight represents and shows the existence of an aspect of the self...